Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sometimes I love sporting events...

...just because of the National Anthem.  I love feeling all sentimental and patriotic.  It's been a while since I've felt as patriotic as I did tonight watching Jennifer Hudson sing The Star Spangled Banner.  

Seriously.  I got teary eyed before she started.  She's been through hell this past year.  And well, she's one of the most incredible singers probably ever.  I was so proud of her.  If I were her, I would have walked off that field and cried my eyes out. Then I'd go straight home, put on my pajamas, and eat delicious football watching food with my closest friends.  

She was amazing.  I am in awe.  

So about  the actual game.  Who's playing again?  Just kidding...maybe.

I have commercials, brownies and Bruce Springsteen to look forward to tonight.  I'm afraid all three of those things might be a letdown in the end.  Remember when the Super Bowl Half-time shows were full of super-mega pop stars?  Now the acts are always chilled out old school legends which are fine, I guess.  But I'll never forget, NSYNC, Britney Spears, Nelly, Mary J. Blige and Aerosmith working the stage in 2001.  

Between you and me, I've never forgiven Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson for her wardrobe "malfunction" back in 2004.   And what's even more annoying is that I didn't even see the controversial moment.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was in my kitchen, watching the performance with a bowl of ice cream in my lap (this was well before my dairy issues began).  I looked down to refresh my spoon with another bite of mint chocolate chip and one of my siblings gasped!  I looked up and the moment had passed.  But really, should anyone be surprised about the exposed breast?  Let me rephrase that.  Should any girl between the ages of 12-18 have been surprised?  We should have seen it coming.  They were singing Justin's infamous songs in which he ends saying, "Gonna have you naked by the end of this song."  And you're, no, we're shocked he followed through?  

Anyway, if I see anything interesting tonight, I'll let you know.  But if I never speak of Super Bowl 43 again, you'll know I was disappointed and have chosen to forget it ever happened.  

Love,
Jenna


3 comments:

Collin Mapp said...

First of all, The Boss's crotch slide into the camera during the half time show was SOOOO awesome.

Second, I was excited for Star Trek until I saw the preview during the commercials. It just seems like a Star Trek for the MTV generation, which I have no interest in. But maybe it will surprise me.

Jenna Kim Jones said...

Oh Collin, you're such a Space TV Show snob.

Ashley, Clay, Eva, Beck, and Cash said...

I totally agree. Jennifer Hudson made me cry in the beginning as well. I was proud to be an American. She is a superstar!