Monday, February 2, 2009

Sometimes bad news...

...comes in the form of a groundhog's shadow. Who came up with this ridiculous tradition? Paganism? PETA? Germans? And how can we be sure the groundhog knows what he (OR SHE) is actually seeing? And what's with the top hats?


Groundhog lovers and supporters claim that the whole shadow prediction thing is 75%-90% accurate. Real researchers (poor guys) have found that a groundhog has an overall prediction accuracy rate around 39%.

Either way, winter ends in mid March. That means, winter will end sometime in the next six weeks so the groundhog tradition, is what I like to call, silly. I don't get it.

The only good thing that comes from this tradition is the movie (and maybe top hats) and that is a stretch.

But just in case you were wondering or you actually care, Phil, that's Punxsutawney Phil, saw his shadow this morning, so it's official, we have approximately six more weeks of winter. Phew, I'm so glad I know so I can plan accordingly.

Honestly, in my mind, winter is over. I walked to work today with my coat over my arm. It was 41 degrees and sunny. Toasty...

Love,
Jenna

1 comment:

Cheese Tease said...

I love Groundhog Day, the movie not the actual day. However, I'm sure I could be persuaded otherwise were I awarded a snappy looking top hat.