Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sometimes I laugh out loud...

...LOL!

LOL is probably one of the most, if not the most overused acronyms in the online world.

i<3lol:>

LOLsucks stands up and shouts, "YOU'RE NOT LAUGHING!" The rest of the office types furiously to each other, "What is stuck up her butt! LOL!!!"

Actually, acronyms have transcended the online world and are now saving speakers everywhere seconds everyday.

I'm not immune to using acronyms and catch myself using them quite often. But I like words. I enjoy them in many ways. Reading them, writing them, saying them, not so much spelling them. I've alwayes bien a terribel speler. Thank goodness for spell check.

Everyone gets in word habits that are hard to break. One of the most overused words in the English language? Literally. The word literally literally turns into a filler word used to emphasize something the speaker feels is important.

I literally love you.

What does that mean?

I am literally starving.

Uh, no you're not.

I literally killed him yesterday in a game of scrabble.

You did what? We're playing battleship. I just sunk your submarine. That's a fake gun, right? Why are you looking at me like that!


Remember when people used to say, "Gag me a with a spoon." No? Maybe it was a Utah thing. Either way, it was weird. Let's not bring that phrase back.

Love,
Jenna