Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sometimes I like my music On the Rocks

For the last 24 hours, I have been obsessed with this video:



These dudes go to the University of Oregon and call themselves "On the Rocks." They are a capella at it's finest/whitest/nerdiest/happiest.



Apparently, On the Rocks was in New York City. First of all, I'm sorry I missed that. I'm confident I would have scored a few dates. And yes, I know that sounds desperate. But that's not the point. Didn't anyone tell them that nerdy a capella music and cynical New Yorkers are like oil and water? Not cool, dudes. You just irritated about 25 people out of their minds. They complained about you for the next week and a half.

I have a long history with a capella. My sister performed in a group when she was in college. I thought they were superstars. And then, around the same time, I saw Rockapella perform in Orem, Utah. I was smitten. In fact, I'm pretty sure, I went up to them after the show and made them sign my CD. Ok, I'm not pretty sure, I'm sure.



Where in the world is...Rockapella? I'm going to guess they're still touring around places like Orem, Utah signing albums for impressionable young girls.

I have no place making fun of singing groups. In high school, I sang in a group called X-treme. I was in a show at Lagoon Amusement Park in Farmington, Utah called "Rock U2 the Top." I sang in the jazz band. Yikes. At least I didn't major in musical theater, right? JUST KIDDING, actor friends. That was a totally practical and worthwhile degree. Ok really, I'm kidding, singing/dancing/acting is awesome. Now can I get a discount at that restaurant you're working at if I come in during your shift? (S-N-A-P!)

Love,
JKJ

1 comment:

Rae said...

I love this post for so many reasons.