Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mid Week Pop Music Pick Me Up 6/24/09

Somethings tells me this group is from Sweden.


Why? Sweden loves Abba and this pop group loves singing Abba songs. "A"*Teens...Abba Teens...get it? Their first album was dedicated to Abba remakes. Though the only scene when you might listen to their version of "Mama Mia" would involve DDR or an old Now That's What I Call Music CD at a sleepover when you were 12. Or maybe that's just me.

Eventually the group branched out and sang a few of their own songs as well which is actually when those of us who watched Disney Channel growing up were introduced to their song, "Upside Down." It's my personal favorite. Any song that references dancing on the ceiling (thanks Lionel) is a personal favorite.

Oh Sweden and your glorious pop. Abba, A*Teens, Ace of Base. They're obsessed with the two boy, two girl combination. To each Country his own. Americans love a pop group that consists of five boys or five girls. Mess with that winning format and you will never reach the top of the pop group list. Why do you think 98 Degrees failed to keep up with NSYNC or Backstreet Boys? They needed that extra member to complete the perfect five part harmony and the classic "'V" dance formation. Duh.

Enjoy A*Teens. They broke up years ago so their few songs are all we have left.

Love,
Jenna

2 comments:

NYC's Most Wanted said...

This is before the Cullen family became vampires. Silly...

Zach said...

I totally have that first CD of all the ABBA remakes. I loved it when I was 14. And now that I remember, so did my parents. Ha!