Monday, August 25, 2008

Sometimes I can't avoid...

...the Lachey brothers. I love the Lachey's. Who? Nick and Drew Lachey. Celebrity brothers or brothers who are celebrities (of course, I'm using the term celebrity loosely as they may not be at the top of the A-listers) that I absolutely adore. What makes them celebrities: 98 degrees, Dancing with the Stars, MTV's Newlyweds, etc. (duh).

Last Friday, in true Jenna style, I decided that instead of riding the subway to my friends place 20+ blocks down and across town, I would walk there instead. So with my little green ipod in hand and my messenger bag draped over my shoulder, I set out on my quest. When I take my long walks across town I like to set my ipod on "shuffle" mode and see where it takes me. First on the playlist that night, "Sweet Talk" by The Killers, probably one of my favorite Killers songs. Next, Rihanna's "Breakin' Dishes," the ultimate man hater song. Then came Nick Lachey's classic, "I Can't Hate You Anymore."

In truer Jenna style, I started humming audibly. In NYC, I have no problem singing to myself down the street. If I look crazy, so be it. There's always someone crazier anyway (That's sort of my attitude with most things: there's always someone slower, dumber, smarter, prettier, uglier...It's a great coping mechanism.)

With my music, I was making good time down 8th Ave through the intense Friday night Times Square crowds. Near 42nd St., I ran into the little red hand informing me that it was not time to cross the street. Usually I disregard the hand and dodge cabs and other New Jersey vehicles in an attempt to cross, but I was in such a good mood, I decided to wait my turn. In truest Jenna style, I began staring at the couple next to me, still humming of course. Dressed in casual clothes (jeans and t-shirts), they were holding hands and quietly chatting with each other. I noticed the man wore a baseball cap which is an odd piece of clothing for a Friday night unless you are a tourist from the midwest who wears hats inappropriately because

a. you think it's stylish
b. you are going bald

or

c. you are a celebrity trying to pose as a midwest tourist in Times Square.

I was hoping for c so I looked more closely still humming and now more loudly as I concentrated on his face. He looked up and, boom, our eyes met. It was Drew Lachey. I shifted my eyes over to the woman to make sure it was his wife and thankfully, it was.

Then I realized something: I'm staring at Drew and Mrs. Lachey humming his brother's hit song.

Then I thought: Should I ask Drew for Nick's phone number?

Before I had time to decide, the light changed, he looked at me again, probably to make sure I wasn't going to follow him, and I blushed and walked quickly in the other direction. Gosh, I love those guys.

This is a true story.

Love,
Jenna

P.S. I did make it to my friends apt. I missed the 7/11 though which I was hoping to pass so I could big gulp my way there. That doesn't even make sense but I loved typing it so it stays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenna, I "Big-Gulped" my way through the last two years of my life...